Walking has never been more popular! Why? Well, not only is walking great exercise and inexpensive to do, but during lockdown it has been our only means of escape!
More people are now walking and cycling than ever before. For many it has been a revelation, they didn’t realise how joyful and invigorating walking can be. As people venture out to explore their own local area, they become surprised by the walks available on their doorstep that they’ve previously chosen to ignore.
Particularly when gyms are closed, walking is one of the most accessible ways to improve our physical and mental health. Exercise gurus will tell you that it is good practice to aim to hit 10,000 steps a day, but that’s not compatible with everyone’s lifestyle and commitments. Nevertheless, dedicating some time to walking each day is good for the body and soul.
Why should you go walking during lockdown?
Here is a list of reasons why walking is good for your health:
- If lockdown has led you down the slippery slope of comfort eating, regular walking will help you to lose any extra pounds
- Walking helps to maintain a healthy blood pressure
- Breathing in more oxygen during walking helps to increase your lung capacity
- Walking may be low impact, but it improves bone strength and reduces the risk of osteoporosis
- Getting out in the fresh air and walking releases endorphins that can put you in a better mood and help you deal with pain or stress
- Regular walking is great for your heart and reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease
- Stamina and endurance are improved through regular walking
Walking after lockdown
Once lockdown is over, walking and exercise will be approached very differently than before lockdown began. According to the AA-Populus poll
of nearly 20,000 drivers, 78% said they will see lifestyle changes, 36% will walk, cycle or run more than they did before, and 22% will drive less.
This means that people have found significant positivity in their walking and exercise, and chances are that more of us will be hiking and venturing out on long walks than ever before.
In the meantime, we shouldn’t let this winter pass us by. We can still get out in the local community and walk within safety guidelines, prepping our stamina for bigger walks to come in the spring and summer.
To ensure you enjoy your winter walks, you need the reassurance of a warm jacket that will serve you well. In this blog we are featuring the Rab men’s Axion Pro jacket as a great all-rounder for the cold winter conditions.
The Rab Men’s Axion Pro Jacket
The men’s Axion Pro down jacket
, from Rab’s mountain range, is described by Rab as “a warm and protective down jacket for trekking, mountaineering and days at a crag”. It is also a toasty warm winter coat, perfect for local walks in chilly conditions, ideal for seeing out the immediate winter months and having in your locker for winter 2021/22.
Made from durable, recycled Pertex Quantum Pro ripstop nylon, the Rab Axion Pro has an ultra-thin water-resistant coating for changeable conditions. The warmth is provided by the 700 fill power P.U.R.E.® recycled down, combined with Nikwax® hydrophobic treatment.
The removable hood is helmet-compatible and uses Stratus synthetic insulation for improved performance in wet conditions. A pair of zipped hand pockets and adjustable cuffs and hem also contribute to the warmth.
At just 786g, this is a versatile, lightweight jacket, available as a standard fit in sizes S, M, L and XL.
Features of the men’s Rab Axion Pro down jacket
- Made from recycled 20 denier nylon Pertex Quantum Pro, 40g/m², with durable water repellent (DWR)
- The Pertex Quantum Pro ripstop nylon is windproof and water-resistant
- The lining is recycled 20 denier nylon, 38g/m²
- High YKK® zipped hand pockets and large chest pocket
- Insulated with recycled 700 fill-power down with Nikwax® hydrophobic treatment
- Helmet compatible removable hood, filled with Stratus synthetic insulation
- Midi-baffle stitch-through construction
- Fully adjustable cuffs and hem to retain warmth
- Stuff sack included
Ethically sourced recycled down
The Rab Axion Pro jacket is filled with the highest quality 700FP (fill power), ethically sourced, recycled down. Recycled down is a sustainable alternative to virgin down because there is no use of virgin raw materials. It also helps prevent unnecessary waste going to landfill.
Rab use Global Recycling Standard (GRS) P.U.R.E.® recycled down which is cleaned, treated with Nikwax® hydrophobic treatment and graded into different qualities and fill powers. This results in the same insulation quality as virgin down.
Ethically sourced down safeguards the welfare of geese and ducks that provide down and feathers by ensuring that there has been no removal of down from live birds, and the birds haven’t been force-fed.
Get in touch
also stock ranges of outdoor clothing
from other leading brands such as Jack Wolfskin, Mountain Equipment, Berghaus, Montane and Craghoppers. We also supply footwear
, backpacking essentials
and camping equipment.
If you would like any further information or advice, please contact us at email@example.com
or by calling 01225 764977.
Remember, the adventure starts at BCH Camping